Kaew Koo Pavilion
Kaew Koo Pavilion is also called 'Wat Khak'. This park displaying religious sculptures and statues is sponsored and supported by Luang Poo Boonlua Sureerat who created various postures based on a mixture of Buddhist and Hindu principles. Kaew Koo Pavilion is about 3 kilometres east of the city just south of Highway 212. Signs on the highway indicate where to turn.
Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge
The first Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge (opened 1994) was built with the cooperation of the governments of Thailand, Laos, and Australia. The bridge is about 20 kilometres long, from Nong Khai city to Bann Tha Dua of Laos. This bridge is an important link for Thailand and Laos in terms of economics, society, tradition, and culture.
This local market is a highlight of a trip to Nong Khai. It lies along the Mekong River in Nong Khai city and provides both locals and tourists with a wide range of products from Indo-China and Eastern Europe. Shoppers can find dry goods like clothing and household goods, processed foods, fresh produce, electrical appliances, and more. The market opens daily around 7 a.m. and remains open until 6:30 p.m. Tourists often are found around the market shopping for souvenirs as well as needed items. Near the Indo-China Market is a small port for local people travelling to Laos. Restaurants also abound in this area and elsewhere along the river.
Wat Pho Chai or Pho Chai Temple
The holy Buddha image, Luang Pho Pra Sai, can be viewed at the Pho Chai Royal Temple. The Nong Khai administrative board organizes a huge celebration yearly in March
Phrathat Nongkhai, or Phrathat Klang Num, is an old pagoda which used to be on the bank of the Mekong River. It was ruined when the river bank collapsed in 1617. Over the years the pagoda has continued to sink into the river and is often not visible. Sometimes the top of the remains can be seen when the river is very low during the dry season. Another pagoda has been built nearby on the present bank of the Mekong. It is call Phrathat La Nong.
The Nong Khai Museum is located on Meechai Street near Nong Khai's Court. When built in 1897, it served as the first town hall of Nong Khai. In 1929, a new town hall was built. At that time, the first town hall was renovated in order to be used in other business. In 2001, the building was renovated again to be used as Nong Khai's Culture Hall. Since 2006, the building has served as the Museum of Nong Khai supervised by the Provincial Administrative Office.
Prap Ho Monument
The Prap Ho Monument located in front of the old town hall was originally placed behind the police station. Inside the monument are the ashes and bones of those who lost their lives taking part in putting down the Ho Rebellion in 1886. Each year, a celebration to honor them is held in March. Inscriptions in Chinese, English, Laotian and Thai can be found on all four sides of the monument.
Chommanee Beach, or 'Pattaya Isann' (Isan's Pattaya), is a sandy area lying along the Mekong River for a length of 200 meters near Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge. The beach can only be seen and accessed in the dry season (March-April).